Tags: autocheck, booting, computer, dell, laptop, microsoft, msdn, opens, prof, program, screen, software, stating, system

Autocheck program not found

On Microsoft » Microsoft XP

10,334 words with 7 Comments; publish: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 13:53:00 GMT; (331125.00, « »)

I have XP Prof. and have been using it for years on my laptop Dell computer.

Recently, when booting up the system, a screen opens stating that autochk.exe

cannot be found. The screen goes off, and the system boots up fine with no

apparent problem. I looked in MS knowledge base and came across article

913502 which addresses this problem. The article recommends putting the XP

operating system CD in the CD drive then opening the command prompt and

running the following command: D:\i386\autochk.exe %WINDIR%\system32. When

I do this I get the following response: D:\i386\AUTOCHK.EXE application

cannot be run in Win32 mode. I tried running the command in safe mode and

received the same response. I keep my system up-to-date with security and

other updates; I’ve run a Symantec antivirus check and Ad-Aware and Spybot

check and the system is clear, yet the problem persists. I checked the

internet and found some talk about a particular MS hotfix, HotFix KB824105,

that may be causing the problem, but although I have a number of hotfixes, I

do not have this one. I long ago configured only one NTFS partition. There

may be a Dell OEM partition but I’m not sure. Any suggestions?

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 7 Comments
    • rcir88 wrote:

> I have XP Prof. and have been using it for years on my laptop Dell computer.

> Recently, when booting up the system, a screen opens stating that autochk.exe

> cannot be found. The screen goes off, and the system boots up fine with no

> apparent problem. I looked in MS knowledge base and came across article

> 913502 which addresses this problem. The article recommends putting the XP

> operating system CD in the CD drive then opening the command prompt and

> running the following command: D:\i386\autochk.exe %WINDIR%\system32. When

> I do this I get the following response: D:\i386\AUTOCHK.EXE application

> cannot be run in Win32 mode. I tried running the command in safe mode and

> received the same response. I keep my system up-to-date with security and

> other updates; I’ve run a Symantec antivirus check and Ad-Aware and Spybot

> check and the system is clear, yet the problem persists. I checked the

> internet and found some talk about a particular MS hotfix, HotFix KB824105,

> that may be causing the problem, but although I have a number of hotfixes, I

> do not have this one. I long ago configured only one NTFS partition. There

> may be a Dell OEM partition but I’m not sure. Any suggestions?

You didn't get the command quite right from the KB article. The command

to execute is:

copy d:\i386\autochk.exe %WINDIR%\system32

Once you issue that command, if you are prompted to overwrite an

existing file, type Y and hit enter.

Tom Porterfield

#1; Sun, 01 Jun 2008 13:54:00 GMT
    • Thank your for your reply. You're right, I didn't start the command with

"copy". When I added copy, the command worked and I was able to copy the

program. Unfortunately, this did not correct the problem, and I still get

that worrisome screen upon booting stating that the autocheck program could

not be found. Do you have any other suggestions?

"Tom Porterfield" wrote:

> rcir88 wrote:

> You didn't get the command quite right from the KB article. The command

> to execute is:

> copy d:\i386\autochk.exe %WINDIR%\system32

> Once you issue that command, if you are prompted to overwrite an

> existing file, type Y and hit enter.

> --

> Tom Porterfield

#2; Sun, 01 Jun 2008 13:55:00 GMT
    • rcir88 wrote:

> Thank your for your reply. You're right, I didn't start the command with

> "copy". When I added copy, the command worked and I was able to copy the

> program. Unfortunately, this did not correct the problem, and I still get

> that worrisome screen upon booting stating that the autocheck program could

> not be found. Do you have any other suggestions?

Yes, I do have other things that you can look into.

1. Run regedit and navigate to

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager. There look at

the value of BootExecute in the right hand pane. The default value for

this should be:

autocheck autochk *

If you have something invalid there, it can cause this error to appear.

If you are unsure of what you are seeing there for BootExecute, post

back to this thread with the value for BootExecute and we can proceed

from there.

2. Check your BIOS boot order and make sure that the HD with your XP

install is the first item in the boot order. If that fixes it, look

closely at the items that were prior to the HD in the boot order that

you had to reposition to get the HD first, especially items such as

network boot or USB devices.

3. Go to Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel. Make sure that

Show Updates is checked. Scroll down in the list and find the entry for

"Windows XP HotFix KB824105". Select that and click Remove. That

hotfix is known to cause this problem on certain hardware

configurations. This is likely related to 1 above so you should try

that first.

Tom Porterfield

#3; Sun, 01 Jun 2008 13:56:00 GMT
    • Thank you again for your extensive reply - it is much appreciated. While I

was waiting for your response, I tried something that actually fixed the

problem. I ran a chkdsk, went to bed and when I woke up in the morning the

problem was gone. The only question I have is where do I access the status

report that evidently was created? I would like to know what was fixed. MS

Help & Support alludes to this report but doesn't tell you how to access it.

"Tom Porterfield" wrote:

> rcir88 wrote:

> Yes, I do have other things that you can look into.

> 1. Run regedit and navigate to

> HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager. There look at

> the value of BootExecute in the right hand pane. The default value for

> this should be:

> autocheck autochk *

> If you have something invalid there, it can cause this error to appear.

> If you are unsure of what you are seeing there for BootExecute, post

> back to this thread with the value for BootExecute and we can proceed

> from there.

> 2. Check your BIOS boot order and make sure that the HD with your XP

> install is the first item in the boot order. If that fixes it, look

> closely at the items that were prior to the HD in the boot order that

> you had to reposition to get the HD first, especially items such as

> network boot or USB devices.

> 3. Go to Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel. Make sure that

> Show Updates is checked. Scroll down in the list and find the entry for

> "Windows XP HotFix KB824105". Select that and click Remove. That

> hotfix is known to cause this problem on certain hardware

> configurations. This is likely related to 1 above so you should try

> that first.

> --

> Tom Porterfield

#4; Sun, 01 Jun 2008 13:58:00 GMT
    • Using the Help file, check out the overview on: Event Viewer

Regards

Ron Badour

MS MVP 1997 - 2007

"rcir88" <rcir88.windows-xp.todaysummary.com.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

news:A26F050C-C234-476C-8A40-6B6673C45044.windows-xp.todaysummary.com.microsoft.com...[vbcol=seagreen]

> Thank you again for your extensive reply - it is much appreciated. While

> I

> was waiting for your response, I tried something that actually fixed the

> problem. I ran a chkdsk, went to bed and when I woke up in the morning

> the

> problem was gone. The only question I have is where do I access the

> status

> report that evidently was created? I would like to know what was fixed.

> MS

> Help & Support alludes to this report but doesn't tell you how to access

> it.

> "Tom Porterfield" wrote:

#5; Sun, 01 Jun 2008 13:59:00 GMT
    • "rcir88" wrote

> Thank you again for your extensive reply - it is much appreciated. While

> I

> was waiting for your response, I tried something that actually fixed the

> problem. I ran a chkdsk, went to bed and when I woke up in the morning

> the

> problem was gone. The only question I have is where do I access the

> status

> report that evidently was created? I would like to know what was fixed.

> MS

> Help & Support alludes to this report but doesn't tell you how to access

> it.

Start | Run | eventvwr.msc | Ok. Look in the Application log for a winlogon

entry.

Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

#6; Sun, 01 Jun 2008 13:59:00 GMT
    • Thank you for your help. I opened Winlogon and it showed the following,

except that instead of these few entries, it had about a hundred all saying

pretty much the same thing:

The USA check value, 0x0, at block 0x3 is incorrect.

The expected value is 0x3.

The USA check value, 0x0, at block 0x3 is incorrect.

The expected value is 0x3.

The USA check value, 0x0, at block 0x3 is incorrect.

The expected value is 0x3.

The USA

For further information I was directed to a web page that included the

“Chkdsk ran on one of the volumes when the computer restarted. A log file,

bootex.log, was created and stored in the root of the volume. This file

states whether Chkdsk encountered any errors and, if so, whether they were

fixed.”

“Review the application log and the system log in Event Viewer for

additional errors. Event ID 1066 contains the detailed chkdsk log. You should

review the chkdsk log to see what problems (if any) chkdsk found on the

volume and what fixes (if any) were made.”

I did a search for bootex.log and found no such file on my computer. Also

there is no Event ID 1066 in the Event Viewer console subcategories

Application and System.

Is the above “The USA check value, 0x0 …” all there is?

"Rock" wrote: